Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Blog Picture Explained

"Parting is inevitably painful, even for a short time. It is like an amputation, I feel. A limb is being torn off, without which I shall be unable to function. And yet, once it is done, I find there is a quality to being alone that is incredibly precious. Life rushes back into the void, richer, more vivid, fuller than before. It is as if in parting one did actually lose an arm. And then, like the star-fish, one grows it anew; one is whole again, complete and round--more whole, even than before, when the other people had pieces of one."--Anne Morrow Lindbergh in "Gift From The Sea"

I discovered this quote in my teens. It resonated then because of a loss of a teenaged romance. Ugh, learned a lot, regretted a lot, and truthfully I don't recall *which* romance was lost, but I gained a treasure in this introduction to Anne Morrow Lindbergh's "Gift From The Sea." This quotation still fits, even after the evolution of several more decades in my life.

Life is too short to revisit the teen angst territory right now but I reserve the right to change my mind later. I probably won't, though. Overall, I'd rate my life as incredibly blessed, but it is one that has pockmarks from a series of losses, beginning when I was just 11 years old. It is because of these losses, though, that I cherish the here and now and have a mad desire to notate and celebrate and preserve it any way I can--journals, handwritten and online, and my newspaper column.

1974--doting dad
1996--beloved grandmother
1998--coarse gentleman father-in-law
2002--best friend of 24 years
2003--mean ole mom
2008--precious mother-in-law
2009--bubba brother

Oh, how I wish it would stop! And it will, with my date. I'm not morbid, I promise. Because of this list, I will continue recording my observances and loves of my life for posterity's sake, like a mad woman. All writers are crazy, right? A Pulitzer nominee told me that.

The picture--taken in St. Augustine, Florida. I'm going to live there permanently some day, so help me. Check out the claw, do you see the enemy? Its claw took off that missing arm, there are supposed to be five, ya know. This blog is testimony that the Lord grows that arm anew, again and again.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."--Jesus Christ, Son of God

Love and hugs and good day,

Mrs. A